"During the "initiation" of a series of lithographs in color, my friend Pierre Chave, experienced lithographer, discovered by chance, the brightness due to the fortuitous compositions.
The process is simple: instead of throwing in the garbage the tests obtained by the successive and random overlays , make the effort - or take delight in - and look closely (or afar). Let freely go the games of your imagination. Rejoice with the suddenness of your mental and sensual associations, of harmonies and dissonances of color that fortune chooses and lays by for you.
Show results to your friends - and even your enemies. Observe their reactions. Continue tomorrow. You will not be disappointed. "
Max Ernst - preface to the catalog of the gallery Alphonse Chave
Currently, the Librairie Loliée offers :
- [Ernst (Max)]. Livres et publications surréalistes. Paris, José Corti, 1932, plaquette in-12. Firts edition of this catalogue of José Corti Bookshop. On the cover, an original drawing by Max Ernst.
- Ernst (Max) - Carrington (Leonora). La Dame ovale. Avec 7 collages par Marx Ernst. Paris, G.L.M., 1939, in-12. First Edition with 7 full-page illustrations by Max Ernst. Copy on vellum paper.
- Ernst (Max) - Peret (Benjamin). La Brebis galante. Paris, Editions Premières, 1949, in-4, illustrated cover. First edition with 3 original engravings in color by Max Ernst. Limited edition to 321 copies, this one on Arches vellum paper.
- Ernst (Max) – Breton (André) - Peret (Benjamin). Almanach Surréaliste du Demi-Siècle. La Nef, numéro spécial, 63/64, Paris Sagittaire, Mars-Avril, 1950, in-8, illustrated cover. One of the 65 copies on Lafuma vellum paper, with 2 original lithographs in color, full-page, signed by Max Ernst and by André Breton.
- [Ernst (Benjamin)] – Peret (Benjamin). Mort aux vaches et au champ d’honneur. S.l. (Paris), Arcanes, 1954, grand in-4. First edition. One of the 54 first copies on Arches vellum paper, with as a frontispiece, an original engraving in color signed by Max Ernst. Copie of the author.
- Ernst (Max). Ecritures. Avec cent vingt illustrations extraites de l’œuvre de l’auteur. Paris, N.R.F Point du Jour, 1970, fort in-8, illustrated cover. First collective edition.
- Ernst (Max). Catalogue de la Galerie Alphonse Chave. Vence, du 13 février au 12 mars 1971, petit in-4, en feuilles, illustrated cover. Preface by Max Ernst. Original lithograph in color on the cover and 12 illustrations in color. Limited edition to 1000 copies. One of the first 90 copies with an orignal and signed lithograph, in color, on Japan paper, by Max Ernst. Enhanced with an autograph of the artist.
- Ernst (Max). Lieux communs. Décervelages. S.l. [Milan], A. Iolas, 1971, brochure in-8. This booklet was print for the Max Ernst's exhibition « Lieux communs » at the gallery Alexandre Iolas in Paris. Limited edition to 1000 copies.